Posted 4 September, 08on:
It is amazing what a difference a better fabric can make. Despite the fabric I did not love, I knew Design #17 from the 05/08 issue of Ottobre had potential. I eliminated the collar stand and trimmed down the points of the collar. It is much better proportion for my frame. The fabric is a sinfully soft brushed jersey from SR Harris in Minneapolis. I used the wrong side on purpose because it was a darker shade of brown than the right side.
The pleats on the side seam are a great detail of this pattern. However, they get kind of lost in the side seam. I sewed the pleats in place, about 3 inches. I also topstitched them for added emphasis. It gives a smoother side seam and helps the folds of the fabric stay in place.
The neckline looks a little daring. The top fits so well that there is no gaping even when I lean over. If one feels too exposed, a little cami underneath would provide more coverage.
I really love this top. Can’t wait for some cooler weather so I can wear it. I might make another one in white. It would be a fabulous “basic” top to wear with a cute skirt.