Posted 15 January, 09on:
Finally…some sewing. Sorry it is not a modeled photo. I will add one of those as soon as I actually wear the jacket. Ok, ok…enough excuses. Onto the details.
Remember when I was trying to make this pattern work? The details that really appealed to me were the dramatic collar, the houndstooth fabric, the belted waist. Design #6 from the 02/06 issue of Ottobre Woman has some of those very details. Though it is billed as a shirt, I saw no reason why it could not be a jacket. I allowed a little extra ease so I would be able to wear a shirt underneath. Instead of sewing the ties into the seams, I made a separate belt. I have a few leather belts that would look great with different tops underneath the jacket. Options are good.
The jacket fits much better on me than it does on the dress form. One of these, I really must pad out the dress from to more closely resemble my body. My shoulders are much wider than the form. The more narrow belt is a better proportion for my frame.
I love the wide, theatrical cuffs. They can also be worn folded back, reminiscent of a French cuff. The buttons are pewter, from way back in my button drawer. The fabric was originally purchases to make pants for the boys when they were very little. However, they just were not the houndstooth pants type. It was a struggle to fit the pattern on the fabric. The scraps are more like threads. I did not have enough to make the ties, which lead me to thinking about a contrasting belt. In the end, that was a better choice. Sometimes, the fabric just tells us what it wants to be.